Saturday, 5 March 2011

X Files: Dana Scully/Gillian Anderson


Hello, Heather here again!

These Pictures are of Dana Scully (on the right), a character from the X files (who was my hero when I was your age!) and Gillian Anderson (on the left), the actress that played Dana Scully.

I think it is quite surprising how different these two pictures are - even though they are physically the same person!

Even though I loves this programme I can see that there are some problems with it.

Dana Scully was presented as a rational expert, whose job it was to expose the mistake in her Male partner's work. Scully was a doctor and a forensic scientist, and even though she was very clever, she quite often turned out to be wrong (because in this programmes aliens and government conspiracies were real).

She also often took on a nurturing role - Agent Mulder was always getting himself into all sorts of trouble, and usually it was Scully who had to pick up the pieces: nurse his wounds, do the paperwork, and report to the boss!

I still love the X files but I think maybe I'm a little more critical of it these days...

2 comments:

  1. There are ways in which I think the relationship between Brennan and Booth in Bones carries on many of the same themes as the Mulder / Scully relationship, playing about with gendered expectations about rationality and emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. urmm okay im a little confused but there i goo....
    i suppose i dont really like the x files i just never found it that intresting butt i dooo enjoy CSI it's just more ntresting and there is a lot of women involved in.. and it's directed to both genders not a specific group of viewers.. it's very enjoyable whether it's csi miami or ncis or the mentalist theyre are all the same type of scenario's with different chracters .. if we consider bone since i havent watched it before but i have watched breif clips it seems very amusing and satisfying.. you'de find usually in these types of shows the dry sense of humor and the sarcism that makes viewers laugh making it more enjoyable for viewers .........

    ReplyDelete