- The words and images used to describe and present / illustrate women scientists
- The numbers of women in science relative to the overall numbers of people in science and relative to the numbers of women in society as a whole.
We would like you to create a blog entry about the representation of women in science, drawing on what we have discussed here today, but also what you've already learnt in other Discover! Club sessions, as well as material available on the Internet.
To create a blog entry:
You could write about:
- women scientists
- women as science communicators
- women doing social studies of science
Why I chose this picture
This is a head and shoulders shot that I use when I'm asked to provide a photograph for publicity material. I use it because I mostly hate photographs of myself but I quite like this one. I'm ambivalent about the use of photographs to accompany information about my work, but if it is going to happen I'm vain enough that I don't want to look like I'm having a bad hair day or I got dressed in the dark. Incidentally that is my kitchen and you can see my garden through the window.
You could choose an image that you think is a particularly good representation of a woman scientist. Or you could find an appalling image of a woman scientist. Do include your comments about why you think the images are good or appalling.
If you like, you could also include a video. I've chosen this video of Susan Greenfield from YouTube because she is one of the UK's most well-known women scientists. What do you think of what she has to say? What about how she says it? Does she inspire you to become involved in science?
Now add one or two links to sites that you think are interesting. These could be about research on the representation of women in science. They could be to sciences careers resources. They could be blogs by women scientist. Anything that you think is relevant can be included.
Finish your entry by inviting readers of the blog to comment on the issues that you would like to know more about in relation to the representation of women in science.

No comments:
Post a Comment